Cerebral Palsy Cymru response to COVID-19
During these challenging times, our priority remains the health and well-being of the children and young people we support, their families, our volunteers and our team.
Cerebral Palsy Cymru are following guidance from Welsh Government to manage our response to the COVID-19 outbreak. We are following appropriate measures to reduce the risk of infection and protect everyone whilst supporting children and families.
Relating to Therapy:
- We are risk assessing children and families to decide on the best way to provide support and therapy treatment.
- Since June 2020 we have been holding face-to-face therapy sessions, risk assessing each child and family on a case-by-case basis. Each risk assessment is by our therapy team.
- From May 2021, face-to-face therapy sessions are able to take place from our new children’s centre in Llanishen, Cardiff.
- In keeping with all Government guidance, all staff who are required to work in our therapy centre will be wearing PPE and we have additional Health & Safety measures in place.
- As a third sector organisation with links to LHBs across Wales, all frontline clinical staff were offered vaccination against COVID-19 as part of the group of healthcare workers vaccinated in early 2021.
- All staff who are able to work remotely are working from home.
Relating to Fundraising and Retail:
- We are not holding face-to-face fundraising events until further notice. For more information about our virtual events, please visit our events page.
- Our charity shops in Cardiff (Llanishen and Crwys Rd) and in Barry and Talbot Green reopened in April 2021 as non-essential retail was able to reopen in Wales.
- In keeping with Government guidance, all retail staff and volunteers are using PPE (including face coverings) when working in our shops.
- In addition to this, all our shops have additional Health & Safety measures in place, including the quarantining of donations in line with Government guidance.
As you can imagine, as a charity which usually receives approximately 80% of its income from charitable donations, including sales at our shops, the pandemic has had a very severe impact on Cerebral Palsy Cymru. This is especially so in a year in which we have moved and begun renovation of our new specialist children’s centre in Llanishen, Cardiff. For more information about our building appeal and how our plans have been impacted by the pandemic please visit this page: www.cerebralpalsycymru.org/build-a-better-future-appeal
We would like to thank everybody for their support and understanding as we manage this unprecedented challenging situation. This response will be updated frequently as the situation evolves.
How we can help you and your family
Our service has adapted due to the coronavirus crisis and we are continuing to offer support and therapy to all families who need us.
- We continue to take referrals directly from families living in Wales who have concerns about their baby’s development.
- We continue to take referrals from any family living in Wales concerned about their child who has cerebral palsy.
- We continue to work in partnership with LHBs across Wales to provide therapy to children with cerebral palsy.
If you have any queries or concerns relating to your child, whether they have a confirmed diagnosis of cerebral palsy or not please contact us. We may follow this up with a telephone or video consultation with the appropriate therapist. A short report and home programme of ideas based on the consultation will be sent to you, as well as to the team around your child.
We are seeing children for face-to-face therapy but will discuss this on a case-b- case basis with you during a telephone or video call.
Our Family Support Coordinator, Glenys Evans, is also available if you need any practical advice or emotional support or just a chat to let us know how you are doing.
Please get in touch by emailing us on email@example.com or telephoning us on 02920 522600.
Therapy and support for children and their families
Cerebral Palsy Cymru is a registered charity in England and Wales 1010183. A company limited by guarantee. Registered company in England and Wales 02691690. Registered address: Cerebral Palsy Cymru, 1 The Courtyard, 73 Ty Glas Avenue, Llanishen, Cardiff, CF14 5DX.