Why your donations matter

Why your donations to our Christmas Challenge Appeal ‘Better Start, Better Future’ matter

Like all charities across the UK, the Coronavirus crisis has had a shattering impact on our financial income this year and although we have now, thanks to recent sources of emergency funding, been able to stabilise the charity, we are still expecting a significant deficit next financial year.   

At the same time, we know that we need to keep going. Over 600 children and families living with cerebral palsy in Wales depend on us.  

As a charity, 80% comes from donations, gifts in wills, retail and fundraising activity. The remaining 20% of our funding comes from Local Health Boards. 

 One of the most vital services that we fund ourselves is our early intervention service, ‘Better Start, Better Future’ for babies – a service that is now under threat due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

It is crucial that babies who have, or who are suspected of having, cerebral palsy receive specialist therapy as soon as possible in their young lives as research shows that is when therapy has the greatest impact for their future outcomes. There is no cure for cerebral palsy, but specialist therapy can reduce the level of disability a child has.  

This is why we are taking part in ‘The Big Give Christmas Appeal.’ From 12pm on the 1st December we have just 1 week to raise £10,000. This money will go towards funding our ‘Better Start, Better Future’ programme and will fund 17 therapy sessions or, to put it simply, make a life changing difference to 17 babies across Wales next year.   

Click here on the 1st December at 12pm to double your donation and make a difference to children and families across Wales living with cerebral palsy. Children like Sienna who was one of the youngest babies to be accepted onto our ‘Better Start, Better Future’ early intervention programme

“It has been such a comfort to us as we were doing something positive from pretty much day one for Sienna. The support and comfort that Cerebral Palsy Cymru provides means that the therapy doesn’t just stop with the child who receives it, the whole family benefits. Now that Sienna is over 2 ½ she’s no longer part of the early intervention programme but we now hope that we can get NHS referrals to Cerebral Palsy Cymru in the future. We are confident that with continued therapy and support, Sienna can reach the peak of her development, and our confidence and faith are all thanks to the great work that Cerebral Palsy Cymru do.”

How we have helped in Wales

110

Family support appointments took place in 2018-19

286

Children from across Wales have been treated during 2018-19

1,682

The number of sessions of specialist therapy we delivered in 2018-19

Clara With Mum Sera Jane

Clara’s story

When we completed our first baby block of 6 weeks of therapy at Cerebral Palsy Cymru’s therapy centre it was a life-changer. We are truly grateful to have found such help and guidance amongst the darkness, we can now look forward to the future, thanks to Cerebral Palsy Cymru.

- Family Story

Read this story

Volunteer with home made cake sale

Pam Perry

I started to Bake for Bobath in 2014 as a fun way of saying thank you to Bobath for the amazing therapy they have given my granddaughter.

Held at home, a small gathering of friends with plenty of cake and coffee plus donations, £97.00, not bad I thought. Still held at home it is an annual event on m…

- Volunteer Fundraiser

View our testimonials

Sienna’s story

The early intervention programme, has been such a comfort to us as we were doing something positive from pretty much day one for Sienna. The support and comfort that Cerebral Palsy Cymru provides means that the therapy doesn’t just stop with the child who receives it, the whole family benefits.

- Family Story

Read this story

Volunteer head shot

Fred Soper

Bobath to me means I can give something back to my community. I was a customer at Crwys road and liked the atmosphere that the manager created. The volunteers are happy and the manager is kind-hearted and good with everyone so when I got the opportunity to volunteer my first choice was Bobath.

I esp…

- Volunteer

View our testimonials

Ffion’s story

Each visit to Cerebral Palsy Cymru’s therapy centre in Cardiff meant a 130-mile round trip to get to the centre but it was well worth it. The sessions were a great tool and taught us how to help Ffion and how to continue with her physiotherapy at home.

- Family Story

Read this story

Support the care we provide Donate now
Cerebral Palsy Cymru
Fundraising Regulator